Saturday 14 July 2012

Spiced Rum and Raisin Ice cream



First time I had Rum and Raisin ice cream was when I was about 17. I remember I felt very grown up because it had rum in it. I was addicted to McCambrige Rum and Raisin and bought a tub once a week which my Mum and I would devour at the kitchen table. One week the tub I bought had undissolved sugar running through it. I sent a precocious note to McCambridge and two days later Mrs McCambridge herself turned up at the door with a box of ice cream and another of McCambrige bread. She was a lovely woman and even stayed for a cuppa tea. We heard a few years later that her and her husband were in a fatal car in Connemara. But every time I make Rum and raisin ice cream I think of the summer day Mrs McCambridge turned up will all those goodies and how impressed me and Mum were.

To make my Mrs McCambridge inspired Rum and Raisin ice cream you will need:
1 cup of raisins
1/2 a cup of dark rum
3 cups whole milk
2/3 of a cup of sugar
Pinch of salt
4 large egg yolks
Method:

In a small saucepan, place raisins and dark rum. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and simmer for a couple more minutes before removing from heat and covering with a lid. Allow to soak for at least 2-3 hours.

Meanwhile, whisk together milk, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan
Heat on medium heat until steaming. Remove from heat.

In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth.

Slowly pour in warmed milk while whisking rapidly to prevent the yolks from curdling. Return mixture back to saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the milk forms a custard thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain mixture and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.

Before placing in an ice cream maker, strain the raisins, pouring any extra rum into the ice cream base.

Freeze mixture in ice cream maker, following the manufacturer's instructions.

In the final minutes of churning, add the raisins so they spread evenly throughout the ice cream.

Transfer ice cream to an airtight container and freeze for 2-3 hours before serving.

Serve chilled, in cones or with caramel sauce.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment